08 July 2012
Camping a week ago
Last weekend we went back to a wonderful campsite at Königssee ("King's Lake" named after Ludwig of Bavaria). A neighbour of ours was getting some physiotherapy at a clinic nearby, and since we'd wanted to go back to this lovely part of Bavaria, we were able to visit her at the same time.
It was a very hot weekend, but it was still a pleasant temperature in the evening in the tent, so we slept great. On the Saturday, we'd planned a trip across the lake followed by a half-hour walk to the higher lake, Obersee, which is marvellous for swimming in. It was wonderful! I normally squeal with the cold when I get into a lake (either that or I bottle out when the water's about knee height), but perhaps I've matured? This time I didn't make any noise - probably because everyone else around was squealing instead. In any case, the special thing about this lake is its top layer of warm water that has been heated by the sun, but below that, it is jolly cold! It is also quite clear and a beautiful bluey-green colour. You can spot fish really easily.
It's a shame we were only there for a weekend, because it is a gorgeous place - as you can see above.



