




We have just come back from a week in Italy, camping with the Pages at the foot of the Queen of the Dolomites: the Marmolada. We introduced Lucy to Klettersteig/via ferrata/protected scrambling routes - much to her chagrin. She felt very scared at times, which was totally understandable. Nevertheless, she proved to be an excellent scrambler and we really hope she'll let us take her on some more such trips in the not-too-distant future. I've had scared moments too on these types of route, but I have to say I loved (almost) every minute of the scrambles we've just done.
The week previous to that we went for a hut weekend with some friends. The three kids were great little hikers, and we kept them fit with nuts, dried fruit and juicy apples. But why I let Mike book us into a family room with one mattress with barely enough space for five people, let alone seven, I do not know. I never want to (not) sleep in a sardine tin like that again. EVER! And I think a few of the others felt the same way. Still, all in all it was a brilliant weekend. Let's have more of those!