09 December 2013
The festive season
Now that the days are shorter and colder, we are entertaining ourselves more indoors than out. Recent indoor entertainments have included two parties at neighbours' houses, my Knit & Natter gatherings with my knitting friends, a trip to the theatre to see The King's Speech (in German), and for Mike a couple of trips with his English mates to Munich clubs to see bands from their youth - including Billy Bragg.
I am really not a fan of the German tradition of baking lots of different biscuits at Christmas time - I find it so fiddly and time-consuming - but for Lucy's sake I made a compromise: readymade dough from the supermarket!
What I do enjoy is binding a Christmas wreath. I had to buy a few branches of fir, but we have holly, laurel, ivy and other suitable plants in the garden that look beautiful when bound onto the wreath. Lucy made her first attempt at this activity, and her wreath is now above our front door for all to see.

