23 June 2019

Local hiking

A sunny evening hike
Avalanche remains
Wildlife
Following short holidays in Budapest and Salisbury, we are back home enjoying school holidays (Lucy & Steph) and local hiking (Mike & Belka). Last Wednesday I took advantage of the good weather and long evenings to take Belka for a hike after work. I chose the Hoher Fricken, a favourite of ours (our third ascent together) because it offers great views of waterfalls coming out of cliffs on the way up, and a good run down. Belka was pleased to also find some patches of snow to roll in. Today we went for another hike in Ammergau, in overcast weather. We had to cross snowy remains of avalanches which had wiped out not only the signposts but also numerous trees and presumably a chamois, whose remains Belka soon found. Other chamois were alive and well, but dashed off as soon as Belka started barking. Back in the valley I spotted two pointy ears sticking up behind a bush, which belonged to a fox. It observed us for a minute before trotting off.
Mike

Blog Archive