30 June 2019

Summer solstice

Illuminated mountains from Ehrwald
Some of this year's motifs
The morning after
The heatwave continues, with temperatures above 30°C every day. That's too hot for walkies (Belka can't take off her fur coat) and also for hiking. So that Belka and I still get our exercise, I chose to hike during the cooler hours this weekend. Every year around the summer solstice, burning torches are placed along the mountain ridges and arranged into illuminated motifs around Ehrwald in Tirol, so I decided to go and take a look. It was very impressive. Afterwards Belka and I hiked part way up a mountain path in the dark, slept under the stars until she bullied me out of bed at 5am, and continued our hike over the tops before it got too hot. We were on the summit by 7am and got to enjoy lovely sunshine. The alpine meadows are now in beautiful bloom, while also here the last snow of winter still survives.
Mike

Blog Archive